Music. What would we ever do without it? Music has been around nearly since the beginning of humanity. It's something we listen to when we want to feel a certain way or sometimes when we already feel a certain way. A wonderfully catchy tune or wildly insightful lyrics draw you in and make you feel alive. Music is medicine for the soul!
According to Billboard, the top five songs of 2017 so far are:
- Despacito (Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee Feat. Justin Bieber)
- There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back (Shawn Mendes)
- Now Or Never (Halsey)
- Believer (Imagine Dragons)
- Stay (Zedd & Alessia Cara)
These songs are all far too catchy – but in the best way possible! Pop music always has the catchiest tunes to draw us in and keep us listening. But let's not take Billboard as the final word. Let's see what songs have been most frequently mentioned on the web. Other than including "Stay," Google's list of the songs most frequently mentioned in the first half of 2017 is entirely different:
- Shape Of You (Ed Sheeran)
- Stay (Alessia Cara)
- Closer (The Chainsmokers)
- It Ain't Me (Kygo)
- Attention (Charlie Puth)
- Symphony (Clean Bandit)
- Something Just Like This (Coldplay)
- Rockabye (Clean Bandit)
Wait a second. Wasn't Rockabye released in 2016?! Wow! Even songs from the past can make an impact on the future! Everyone has different tastes in music, but that's what makes the music industry go 'round! Different tastes, opinions and criticisms inform how these websites rate our wonderful and exciting new music for this year!
But who can disagree that pop music isn't catchy? There's always that beat, rhythm, lyric or tune to that song that makes it so hard to quit! Alright, alright. Let's do one more music-loving website and see how they ranked the top pop songs of 2017! This year is already chock-full of big new tunes!
A list posted by BigTop40 on June 15th is quite similar to the two already listed. But it's by no means exactly the same.
- Power (Little Mix feat. Stormzy)
- The Cure (Lady Gaga) [Ooh! Haven't seen Gaga on a list yet!]
- Ain't Nothing Holdin' Me Back (Shawn Mendes)
- Symphony (Clean Bandit & Zara Larsson)
- Ciao Adios (Ann-Marie)
- Be The One (Dua Lipa)
- Shape Of You (Ed Sheeran)
- Castle On The Hill (Ed Sheeran)
- Touch (Little Mix)
- September Song (JP Cooper)
- Chained To The Rhythm (Katy Perry feat. Skip Marley)
- I Would Like (Zara Larsson)
- Human (Rag'N'Bone Man) [Wow, don't think I've ever heard of them. Interesting!]
- Bad Things (Camila Cabello & Machine Gun Kelly)
Wow, there are even a couple musicians and songs I have never heard of before on this big list! Quite a few sound awfully familiar, but some appear to be brand new to the music scene! Isn't it just wonderful to discover a brand new artist for the very first time? There are always songs and musicians you have never heard before out there, waiting to be recognized! Just as our three lists have some similarities, there are many differences – which is never a bad thing for us looking for our new beat.