Being involved in a car accident can be a traumatic experience. Therefore, most victims are not in the right frame of mind to handle the claims, charges, and investigations that follow an accident, and this is where a car crash lawyer comes in.
The attorney represents you in negotiation and settlements; handles court proceedings, both physically and psychologically; and makes sure your vehicle insurance is also paid.
When should you hire a car accident lawyer?
- When there is a contest as to who is at fault, and you can’t prove that the other driver is to blame, or when a lawsuit has been filed against you
- If there will be a court showdown where evidence must be presented
- When a minor is involved in the accident, and he/she has sustained more than minor injuries
- If you were seriously injured, or the minor injuries you sustained turned into major injuries
- No one should foot medical bills after being involved in a car accident caused by another person. Some people prefer to settle their claims, but it’s time to call a lawyer when your bills surpass what you can comfortably handle.
- When the settlement being offered is very low or it’s taking too long to settle the claim; Insurance companies might delay settlement knowing that you are not aware of the statute of limitations.
Car accidents can be complicated, especially when it comes to handling insurance companies. You are better off hiring a qualified attorney who is familiar with what it takes to win such cases than start educating yourself on how to settle car accident claims. An attorney will save you time, money and energy and give you peace of mind.
Note that it’s important not to take any offer from the liable party until you can establish the full extent of your injuries. Otherwise, the party at fault will no longer be obligated to compensate you.
Choosing an car accident lawyer
- Get referrals from family, friends, and acquaintances. Then meet some of them and compare to get one who will work well with you.
- Ask other lawyers to refer you to an experienced accident attorney as they usually run in the same circles.
- Always sit down with a lawyer and interview them before hiring them. Ask how long they have been practicing and how many auto accident cases they have handled. Also, ask who they represent most, defendants or plaintiffs? It’s good to get a lawyer who has represented both sides, as their thinking and fighting will be more inclusive, thus increasing your chances of winning.
How much do they charge?
The cost of car accident lawyer differs depending on the following factors:
- How complicated the case is
- If there will be litigation pursuits
- Time is taken to settle the case
- Amount of settlement
- The lawyer’s firm. Some companies have higher rates
It’s advisable to meet and talk with lawyers before hiring them to be sure you can comfortably pay their charges.